Click here to return to Veteran Blog

Dear Members of the Corps of Signals fratenity,
With grief we are posting details of our colleagues who leave for their heavenly abode. We request members to forward their "shradhanjali". Kindly share with us the photographs, fond memories and association.
We await tributes from associates/ course mates for publication.
Blog Team

RMS Tributes
  • Amar Jawan: Roll of Honour of the Indian Armed Forces
  • The Kargil Memorial
  • Friday, December 12, 2008

    Brig S K Datta

    Its an extremely distressing and sad news for me personally because Brig Datta is a Role Model for me. My adoration and admiration for him are too deep rooted to express in words. I was fortunate to be his Adjutant in 1 Fd Sub Gp at Delhi during 1983 to 85. Initially he used to get annoyed with me but as time went by he used to appreciate me a lot for my work. His sense of humour was so good we used to laugh a lot even under tense situations. I became a better person as well as a better officer under his able guidance. He was fiercely protective of his subordinates and never allowed any superior to interfere with his Command. He never passed on the buck.

    Once he asked me to have a HOWLERS BOOK kept in my office. I took my own time and after being reminded once or twice I compiled some howlers and put up the book to him with a note "Draft Howlers are put up for approval please". Right came the reply with his remarks "Howlers are never drafted. This will be the first howler. Keep it up". I don't know if that book is still in existence at 1 Fd Sub Gp. When a JCO applied for sanction of expenditures for dentures he wrote" As a SJCO his bark should be bigger than his bite. What does he need dentures for?" His sense of humour was commendable and I am fortunate to have served under him.

    His respect for customs and traditions needs a special mention. When he forwarded his name for attending the dining out of a retired signal offr at Signals Enclave, I casually inquired if he knew the offr previously. Pat came the reply, "No I don't know him. But we must respect his services to our Corps all these years. By attending his dining out I am doing that". I was taken aback by his reply. He is such a noble soul and man of great qualities with inspiring leadership traits, I wish to salute him. I have cried for the first time after my parents death.

    I can go on and on because he is a friend philosopher and guide to me. But nobody can deny that he was a cut above the rest in my view. The Signal Corps had lost a great stalwart in his demise. I and my family pray to God Almighty to bless his soul to rest in peace and give the courage to his family to bear this irreparable loss with fortitude

    Col C V Mohan (Retd)