Click here to return to Veteran Blog

Dear Members of the Corps of Signals fratenity,
With grief we are posting details of our colleagues who leave for their heavenly abode. We request members to forward their "shradhanjali". Kindly share with us the photographs, fond memories and association.
We await tributes from associates/ course mates for publication.
Blog Team

RMS Tributes
  • Amar Jawan: Roll of Honour of the Indian Armed Forces
  • The Kargil Memorial
  • Tuesday, September 16, 2008

    Col OP Kalra

    Our dearest Tommy is no more. For the dam busters of Bravo Squadron, the void will never be filled. When we reported at Kharakvasla on 12thy July 1961, the dam had just been breached. Naturally, everyone, especially the dreaded second termers, was busy pitching tents for the homeless people whose villages had been inundated, and left us alone for a few days. We were perhaps the only ones who were happy with the dam being breached, and that is how the course got its name – dam busters.

    Om Prakash Kalra was the most liked member of the course. He never said an unkind word to anyone, and was perhaps the only one who never had an argument, a rare feat in the NDA. His name first became Omi; then Omi the God, before finally becoming Tommy. If one ran short of toothpaste or shaving blades, Tommy’s cabin was the first port of call. In later years, if one wanted something done, Tommy was the one who could be counted on to deliver. Of course, all of us in the squadron were very close to him. With me, there was another reason for nearness - when we were commissioned and IC numbers were allotted, Tommy became my immediate senior.

    I know that all of us have to go some day. But not everyone leaves an empty space. Tommy was like that. I know Mamta and the children will miss him forever. We will also miss him, for a long time. We pray for his soul and for his loved ones – may God give them the strength to bear the loss. Of course, we need not worry about Tommy’s whereabouts – we know where God resides.

    VK Singh

    I first came in contact with OP when he was doing his SODE and I was doing my CC course at Mhow. Even during that short association I could not escape being influenced by his brilliant intellect and affable nature. Later I had even closer association with him when we both did the sme EDPS course at Mhow. Brilliant as he was, his standing first on the course was no surprise to any of us. More than that he was extremely friendly and cooperative, and willingly shared his knowledge wih others. His passing away so early in life is a tragic loss for all the signals fraternity. May God grant peace to his soul and courage to his family members to bear his absence.

    Col SK Paranjape

    Though I have not known Col OP Kalra, being a veteran Signaller I pay my 'shradhanjali' to the departed soul. May his soul rest in peace. May God give his family and near and dears the courage to bear the loss.

    Lt Col MG Kapoor
    Advocate

    I was really shocked to hear about the sad demise of Col O P Kalra from Col Ramtri. How can this happen to such an active and fit person.

    It was only a year ago that He and I had a very good lunch at the Arun Vihar Club, Noida, and talked about old times and the IT industry in general.

    I was fortunate to induct such a fine person, Col Kalra, into the IT industry as head of administration and also my consultant for every thing else that setting up of a new office needs when I was setting up the new IBM office at Gurgaon for IBM Global Services Exports (which has grown very very large now).

    I will always remember Col Kalra as a thorough gentleman, very balanced, sincere, hard working, respecting, pleasant, well dressed colleague. He was very shy of asking anything for himself but took up every duty with great involvement. We will miss him and pray for peace for his soul.

    - Dr Asha Goya

    I knew Col OP Kalra for over 53 years. In his passing away I have lost a real friend. I have written a small "shradhanjali". You may like to give it a place in the blog. Regards

    Virender
    Lt Col VK Grover(Retd)