Click here to return to Veteran Blog

Dear Members of the Corps of Signals fratenity,
With grief we are posting details of our colleagues who leave for their heavenly abode. We request members to forward their "shradhanjali". Kindly share with us the photographs, fond memories and association.
We await tributes from associates/ course mates for publication.
Blog Team

RMS Tributes
  • Amar Jawan: Roll of Honour of the Indian Armed Forces
  • The Kargil Memorial
  • Tuesday, July 1, 2008

    Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw of Wellington

    I remember in Jun 1987 Manekshaw's biography was released. The event took place on the lawns of DSSC. Maj Gen Billimoria was the Commandant. I was posted then at MRC Wellington as GSO1 (Trg). All the Station Officers were present at the DSSC for the event. On the dot at 1630 h the Field Marshal was driven in through the gates of DSSC with a Fanfare by the MRC Band. He arrived in his car bearing Five Stars. He was in full dress whereas we were all in combinations.

    He was as cheerful as ever. The official book release was conducted amidst his non stop chatter and giggles by others on the dais. As he took the mike his LO held out for him a copy which was flagged in many pages. He commended the author and publisher and then held up his copy and said, "Well chaps, this is my biography and you may buy the book if you feel like. I don't get a single paise out of the sale. That doesn't matter. But I want something from the author. My name is misspelt in seven places! I have flagged the pages where I have been referred to by names that are not mine. He must promise me that he will correct them in the next edition......if there is a next edition!"

    Another time, one evening, a few of us had gone to MH Welligton to look up one of our officers who had been admitted there. FM Manekshaw had also come there to see some other patient. As we stood around on the verandah of the ward he walked up to us and said, Hi, Chaps! Do you all know me?" When we said yes he enquired about the officer and said "Eventually we all get well inspite of the doctors. So don't worry".

    And he went on, "Do you know, my father was a doctor. I was delivered by him. Actually I was born 'breach'. That is, I came out with my legs first. I was born a 'blue baby'. I didn't breathe or cry at birth. So my father held me up side down by my feet and gave me a tight slap. That must have stung me and I gave out my first squeal. Later in life whenever I was unbearably naughty my mother always told my father that he ought not to have slapped me then!".

    "And," he went on, "my father wanted me to be a doctor like him. I said I will only be a women's doctor so I can have a good look at you know.....(wink, wink). This angered him so much that he had me put into the Army. When I was shot up in Burma my father asked for me to be sent home for treatment and convalescence. After about three months when I was fit again and he said, "Son if you have one more drink or smoke one more cigarette you will die". I listened to him and nearly died!".
    So saying he lit up a fag and said, "Thanks chaps. I must go now. The sun has gone down and my kancha must be waiting for me with my drink".

    Sundar