Click here to return to Veteran Blog

Dear Members of the Corps of Signals fratenity,
With grief we are posting details of our colleagues who leave for their heavenly abode. We request members to forward their "shradhanjali". Kindly share with us the photographs, fond memories and association.
We await tributes from associates/ course mates for publication.
Blog Team

RMS Tributes
  • Amar Jawan: Roll of Honour of the Indian Armed Forces
  • The Kargil Memorial
  • Tuesday, July 21, 2009

    Brig Aniles Basu

    It was sad to learn about the demise of Brig Aniles Basu. I had the opportunity to serve with him as his Adjutant in Central Comd Sig Regt from Jan to Oct 1970. He had returned from Moscow, where he served as an AMA in Indian Embassy for three years. As bachelors we had liberty of enjoying Brig & Mrs Basu's hospitality at a short notice.

    He was great CO who had full faith in his team. Though an intellectual he had great regard for the Army. I was selected for PC (being an ex-ECO) and also nominated for SODE 27 through an entrance examination, for which he personally took classes for elecronics in the evenings.

    I had also prepared for IAS & Allied Services exam for more than a year. I requested him to get my name withdrawn from SODE to have a crack at the Civil services. He convinced me that there is nothing to beat the Army and Corps of Signals. I changed my mind and tore off my roll No. card in his presence.

    Last we met was at the Corps Reunion 1996. He had promised come to Chandigarh and stay with us. That never materialised. He was a great human being and took great pleasure in helping and bringing up young officers.
    With regards
    Brig Kirpal Singh Grewal (Retd)